Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Taco Tuesday

First day back to school, back to business as usual. Now that I've started a new career as a full-time mom and part-time consultant for Epicure Selections I made the decision to blog about my epicure adventures in the kitchen. My hope is this blog will inspire you to get creative in the kitchen with these easy, healthy meal ideas. The best thing is there are no rules, have fun! The products are so versatile you can't go wrong. Use what you've got on hand and substitute with what you've got! Don't have a lime on hand? Use lemon. Don't have enough tomatoes to make a salsa? Add some other fresh veggies or beans like I did in my chunky black bean salsa!

So here's a little secret, if you want your kids to eat, you have to sell it. Make them think they are in on a really special secret. Tacos used to be just tacos. Then I called it "Taco Tuesday" and they were sold! Now they get excited. Sounds strange but trust me. Make it soup and salad Saturdays and they suddenly think they are in on something really cool!

I change up my recipe for tacos all the time. Using what I've got. We got some fresh local ground turkey on the weekend so that's where my taco recipe began. Turkey is leaner and healthier choice for that reason.

Brown a lb of ground beef or turkey with About 2 tbsp of Pueblo Bean Dip Mix. You can also use Taco seasoning but I love the pueblo bean on all my mexican food. If your new to epicure one of the best things about the products is they are LOW in sodium compared to the leading Mexican seasoning.







Next I made up some Chunky Bean Salsa Starting with a cup of black beans, 1 tomato, 1/2 lemon squeezed in and 2 tsp of Epicure Selections Poco Picante Salsa Mix.

I had a red onion I had to use up so I added 1/4 cup of that at the last minute and a bit of chopped cucumber for freshness and color.

And voila fresh bean salsa! Now, my kids are used to spicy foods so this works for us but be forewarned poco picante is hot but delicious.

 

Assemble with fresh shredded cheese, sour cream and soft or hard taco shells. There you have it, quick easy and healthy.

 

Happy Taco Tuesday!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment