Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Healthy Snacking: Homemade Granola

You ever just get a craving for something as soon as you wake up? Maybe it's because I'm obsessed with food, but I woke up and instantly thought about crunchy granola on top of Greek yogurt. Not all cravings come that healthy so this was a treat to be able to say yes! right away to. With a new year upon me, and a few extra holiday pounds upon me too, time to get back in gear and treat my body a bit better. After week one of healthy eating, I can say the cravings for naughty foods are pretty much gone. I had a major detoxing headache for 2 days but all systems seem to be clear.

I was pleasantly surprised at how simple this snack was to whip up with things that I had on hand. Easy to adapt with other nuts, grains, raisins and seeds too! This recipe I adapted from one I found on pinterest for peanut butter granola from Shape magazine. I had some almonds and coconut on hand that I thought would taste Delish (I was right) so I added those and some Epicure loving.



Ingredients:
Makes four 1/4 c servings
2 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. VE maple spice
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. oats


1/4 c. Both Sweetened shredded coconut and slivered almonds

VE cinnamon sugar grinder used to taste.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line your cookie sheet with parchment or VE silicone baking mat and set aside. Combine peanut butter and honey in a bowl and microwave until peanut butter melts (approximately 20 seconds).


Add vanilla and Maple Spice to peanut butter mixture. Combine oats, coconut and almonds and add peanut butter mixture until it's all covered. Spread it all on the cookie sheet and grind some cinnamon and sugar on top. Bake for 7 -8 minutes until granola is slightly browned. Granola will get more crunchy as it cools.

Sprinkle it on some fat-free Greek yogurt, fresh or frozen (but thawed) raspberries and blueberries and you have a healthy snack or breakfast your body will thank you for!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment